Hello Tumblr fans! We got some important news to share: Tumblr is "Getting into affiliate links"
In a couple weeks we’re going to start adding something called “affiliate codes” to links on Tumblr that don’t already have one. Questions are healthy and natural, so let’s go through some:
- What are affiliate codes? Basically, they tell a merchant that a customer came from Tumblr. And if there’s a sale, Tumblr may get a commission for the referral.
- What’s going to change? Not much, really. Links will look and function exactly as they do now. Even personal affiliate codes, if you use them, will keep working normally.
- Why are you doing this? One might argue that affiliate links can help slow or even reduce the cost of goods and services to zero as required for a truly post-capitalist economy.
- Can I opt out? Of course. We wrote that right into our TOS. There’s a switch in settings that keeps Tumblr’s affiliate code off of links you post.
Two Weird Tricks to Tumblr Even Faster
- Quick reblog: The original Quick thing to do. Hold down the reblog button, then drag your finger to the Tumblr you want to post on.
- Quick send-a-post: An update on the classic. Hold down the airplane button, then drag your finger to the Tumblr you want to hurl a post at. Android only with iOS soon.
Coming soon: Money from your Tumblr
On Thursday, we’re going to introduce ads on Tumblrs, so that later this year people can start making money from their blogs.Tumblr is a place where brilliant, creative, funny, impossible people shape culture. Some of you have even turned your passions into jobs: book deals, music careers, paid gigs with the Creatrs program. Now, (soon!) that opportunity will be available to any eligible Tumblr—poet, musician, fan artist, and misfit weirdo memelord alike.
Some things you’re probably wondering:
- Do you have to? Good question. No, you can turn off on-blog advertising in settings if you’re not comfortable with it.
- When? Who? How? How much? Also good questions! We’re still working out the details of the partner program but as soon as we have details to share, we’ll make announcements right here on trusty Staff. Just so you know: You won’t be able to make money until you register for the program—which is coming soon.